IN ORDER to implement one of the measures identified in Budget for the year 2022, the Prime Minister, the Minister for Finance and Employment and the Minister for Transport, Infrastructure and Capital Projects, have developed the following Scheme that aims to provide a once only grant for persons who were formerly employed as licensed port workers between 4th April 1973 and 1st June, 2007 and who were not so licensed after such period.
A once-only grant.
The amount of the grant will be paid to the eligible applicant by cheque which shall be posted to the address shown on the application form. No interests shall run on the amount of the grant due to the applicant. It is a condition of this Scheme that by accepting the grant, the applicant shall be renouncing to any other claim and to withdraw any case instituted against Government or any Authority or Government entity.
This Scheme applies to applicants enrolled in the Port Pension and Contingency Fund during the effective period. Applicants so enrolled shall only be entitled to a once only grant.
The Scheme also applies to the heirs of such port workers if such port workers are deceased when the application for the once only grant under the Scheme is made.
- Applications under this Scheme shall be made on the application form set out in the Schedule to this Scheme and shall contain all the information and details as required in the said form and in terms of this Scheme.
- In the case of applications under this Scheme made by the heirs of the same decujus, the application shall be made by the heirs. Where there is more than one heir, there shall be made one joint application by the heirs. Together with the application, there shall be produced a declaration made by a notary public, in which declaration there shall be declared who the heir or heirs of the decujus is or are, and who is the sole heir authorized to receive payment on behalf of all heirs, on condition that the decujus was eligible to apply for the Scheme. The Ministry for Transport, Infrastructure and Capital Projects reserves the right to request the production of other documents besides the documents herein mentioned.
- (iii) Only those applications that are found to conform with the provisions of this Scheme shall be eligible for payment of the grant.
- Applications under this Scheme, including the documents that are to be attached to the application, shall be sent by mail to the Ministry for Transport, Infrastructure and Capital Projects, c/o Block A, Francesco Buonamici Street, Floriana FRN 1700 by not later than 31st July, 2022.
- Persons who had applied under the Scheme issued in the Government Gazette on 2nd May, 2017, 17th April, 2018, 26th April 2019, 8th May 2020 and on 27th April 2021 and who later received payments in view of their eligibility under that same Scheme, will be contacted by the Ministry for Transport, Infrastructure and Capital Projects in due course, to confirm the relevant details.
- (vi) In the case of the demise of an eligible applicant or authorized heir who received payment under the previous calls for applications in 2017 / 2018 / 2019 /2020/2021, a fresh application under this new call has to be submitted by the heirs in the manner explained in sub-clause 3 (ii) above.
This application is to be sent by post, to the Ministry for Transport, Infrastructure and Capital Projects, c/o Block A, Francesco Buonamici Str, Floriana FRN 1700 by not later than 31st July 2022.
The personal information provided in this form is protected and used in accordance with the Data Protection Act.
The use of the Bank IBAN number, must be filled only by the eligible applicant who is going to receive the grant as the Beneficiary or by the authorized applicant who is going to receive the grant in the name of all heirs. The IBAN number is to be utilised for the payment of the 2022 scheme only.
In the event of an incorrect payment of a claim, the Ministry for Transport, Infrastructure and Capital Projects reserves the right to recover funds paid in error. Where a fraudulent claim arises, the Minister responsible for Transport, Infrastructure and Capital Projects may initiate criminal proceedings against those responsible.
The information shown on the application form will be used by the Ministry for Finance and Employment and the Ministry for Transport, Infrastructure and Capital Projects