A Supplementary Allowance may be awarded to a person having a low income and is currently not in receipt of a Children’s Allowance. This allowance is intended to help a person bridge his income requirements.

What you'll get

The payments for this allowance are issued every 13 weeks in advance.

Please click here for a Schedule of Benefits Rates.


General eligibility criteria:

  • An Applicant should be a resident of Malta for at least three (3) months before date of application
  • A single person who is a Head of Household and is currently in receipt of a Social Assistance or Unemployment Assistance or any type of a Contributory / Non-Contributory Pension or Disability Assistance
  • A single person who is a Head of Household and is employed or is an employed pensioner
  • A person who is still living within the same household with his spouse / partner
  • The total reckonable income shall not exceed €14,058 in the case of a couple and €9,961 in the case of a single person
  • The income ceiling is based on income and emoluments for Year of Assessment 2019; Foreign Pension Income for Year of Assessment 2020 and Local Pension Income for Current Year 2021

How to apply

Documentation required

General documentation:

  • If applying as a couple, a separate signed declaration by the couple is to required. Click here to download this declaration
  • Copy of ID Card from both sides
  • Rent Receipts (if paying rent)
  • Electricity Bills (to prove the applicant is Head of Household especially if other persons are registered on same address)
  • Declaration on what income applicant is living on if no benefit from the Department of Social Security is being issued
  • Declaration of any income earned in the relevant year
  • Foreign pension slips
  • Rent income declaration (in case applicant receives rent)

Fill in and submit the application online.