The Special Unemployment Benefit may be awarded to a person who has paid Class 1 or Class 2 Social Security Contributions, qualifies for the Unemployment Assistance, and is the Head of Household.
The Special Unemployment Benefit is paid on a 6 day week basis and covers payment for Monday to Saturday.
A beneficiary is entitled to a maximum of 156 days of Unemployment Benefit. Moreover, this entitlement is based on the number of Social Security Contributions paid by the claimant prior to the claim.
Please click here for a Schedule of Benefit Rates.
An application typically takes 4 weeks to be processed if all accompanying documentation meet the requirements.
• The applicant is the Head of Household
• Claimant has paid a minimum of 50 Class 1 and/or Class 2 Social Security Contributions since being registered under the Social Security Act (Cap. 318) until date of Benefit Claim, and also has 20 paid or credited Class 1 or Class 2 Social Security Contributions during the last 2 consecutive calendar years prior to the request for the Unemployment Benefit
• The applicant must satisfy the Capital Means Test. Capital resources must not exceed €23,300 for a couple and €14,000 for a single person
• Any income deriving from Rents; Bank Interest from Capital, Stocks and Shares; Alimony/Child Maintenance and any other Income derived; must not exceed the maximum Unemployment Assistance rate as per household
• To be entitled for the full 156 days of Unemployment Benefit, the claimant must satisfy the Social Security Contributions Tests indicated above and also have a minimum of 156 Social Security Contributions paid
- For the Data Protection Statement, click
- For the Medical Certificate, click
- For the Medical Certification for Carers, click here.
- For the Rent Declaration, click
- For the Corroboration Declaration, click here.
- For the Capital Resources Declaration, click here.
- For the Declaration of Household Composition, click
- For the Joint Declaration, click here.
- For the User Manual, click here.
Fill in the online form and submit.