Any student whose normal residence is outside Malta, but who comes to Malta for the sole purpose of persuing his/her studies in an educational institution authorised as such by education authorities, is entitled to bring over his/her personal motor vehicle without the need to register it in Malta and pay vehicle registration tax thereon.

What you'll get

An exemption from paying the vehicle registration tax. Applicants will be issued with a temporary permit for a period of 12 months, and shall be renewed on application by the student every year.


Any student who has the vehicle registered in his/her name and is persuing his/her studies in Malta.

How to apply

Print and fill in the form and send to:

Land Transport Directorate
A3 Towers
Triq l-Arkata
Paola PLA 1212

Required documents:
i) Copy of vehicle registration certificate.
ii) Copy of driving licence.
iii) Copy of passport.
iv) Copy of vehicle insurance certificate.
v) Details of studies/course being/to be followed.
vi) Details of duration of studies/course.
vii) Declaration from educational institution being/to be attended.
viii) Copy of road licence where applicable.
ix) Fee of €15.