Any person whose normal residence is outside Malta but who comes to Malta under a work contract, is entitled to bring over his/her personal motor vehicle and drive it in Malta, without the need to register it in Malta and pay vehicle registration tax thereon.

What you'll get

An exemption from paying the vehicle registration tax. Applicants will be issued with a temporary permit for a period of 12 months and shall cease to have effect upon the expiration of that period.


A person who has his/her normal residence outside Malta, but who comes to Malta under a work contract of a minimum of 1 year.

How to apply

Print and fill in the form and send to:

Land Transport Directorate
A3 Towers
Triq l-Arkata
Paola PLA 1212

Submit the form within 20 days from arrival to Malta.

Required documents:
i) Copy of vehicle registration certificate.
ii) Copy of driving licence.
iii) Copy of passport.
iv) Copy of vehicle insurance certificate.
v) Copy of Jobsplus work permit, were available.
vi) Copy of employment contract.
vii) Copy of road licence.
viii) Notice of Arrival.
ix) Fee of €35.