Students' Maintenance Grants include the following:
- the initial grant
- the one-time grant
- the single parents’ grant
- Summer Special Stipend
- Top-Up Stipend
- Supplementary Allowances
Students' Maintenance Grants are provided by the Government of Malta for students attending at an approved Post-Secondary, Vocational and Tertiary Education Institution. The Students' Maintenance Grants’ scheme operates under a set of regulations and the respective Subsidiary Legislation 605.06 determining eligibility.
Students submitting their online application after the end of December of the respective academic year will be considered eligible for the Maintenance Grants as from the date of submission of application.
New students, students changing course and/or institution, repeaters, and students in additional or extension year are to apply for the Students' Maintenance Grants online application at the beginning of the academic year by using their e-ID and password.
Students studying at MQF Level 5 and 6, and students studying at MQF Level 7 following courses leading to a warrant, and who have successfully confirmed their online application, would receive the following:
- A yearly Initial Grant, given once per academic year, which is to be utilised for the purchase of textbooks and other educational material.
- One-Time Grant (for First-Year Degree Level students only). This Grant covers the entirety of the course and is credited to students reading for courses leading to an MQF Level 6 qualification.
- Four-weekly backdated stipend rates, starting from the first week of December and normally running up to August. These stipend rates may be subject to deductions due to absenteeism.
- A Single Parents’ Grant, (depending on eligibility), the amount of which depends on the MQF Level of the course of studies being pursued. This Grant is given to full-time students who are single parents, and who depend solely on Social Security benefits as their sole source of income.
- Summer Special Stipend (credited to apprentices depending on eligibility, payable throughout the Summer period, subject to attendance)
- The Top-Up Stipends are additional rates credited to apprentices over the span of a whole year so that the total remuneration credited them is not less than the national minimum wage. These rates are credited on condition of eligibility and subject to attendance.
- Supplementary Allowances, depending on eligibility which is determined by the Students’ Maintenance Grants’ Board.
Stipend Payment Dates for Academic Year ending 2021*
- 2nd December 2021
- 30th December 2021
Stipend Payment dates for 2022.
- 28th January 20222
- 25th February 2022
- 25th March 2022
- 22nd April 2022
- 20th May 2022
- 17th June 2022
- 15th July 2022
- 12th August 2022
- 9th September 2022
- 7th October 2022
- 24th November 2022
Fill in the online form and submit.
Students may take up to 10 minutes to login, fill in and correctly submit an online application. This timeframe assumes that scans of requested documentation are already available.