Students' Stipends and Grants are provided by the Government of Malta for students attending at approved Post-Secondary, Vocational and Tertiary Educational Institutions. Students' Stipends and Grants are regulated by Subsidiary Legislation 605.06. This legislation also determines applicants’ eligibility.
Students are encouraged to apply online between the 30th September and 31st December 2022 in order to benefit from Stipends and Grants as from the beginning of the respective academic year. Students submitting their online application after the end of December of the respective academic year would be considered eligible for Stipends and Grants as from the date of the submission of their application.
New students, students changing course and/or institution, repeaters, and students in additional or extension year are to apply for the Students' Stipends and Grants by submitting an online application at the beginning of the academic year by using their e-ID and password through the this link: https://education.gov.mt/en/studentsgrants/Pages/default.aspx
Promoted Students are required to access their online application to confirm the already filled in details of their course and other personal details by using their e-ID and password at the beginning of the respective academic year but by no later than 31st December 2022 in order to benefit from the Students’ Stipends and Grants as from the beginning of the respective academic year. Students confirming their online application after the end of December 2022 will be considered eligible for Stipends and Grants as from the date of the submission of their application.
Students studying at MQF Level 5 and 6, and students studying at MQF Level 7 following courses leading to a warrant, and who have successfully confirmed their online application, would receive the following:
- A yearly Initial Grant, given once per academic year, which is to be utilised for the purchase of textbooks and other educational material.
- One-Time Grant (for First-Year Degree Level students only). This Grant covers the entirety of the course and is credited to students reading for courses leading to an MQF Level 6 qualification.
- Four-weekly backdated stipend rates, starting from the first week of December and normally running up to August. These stipend rates may be subject to deductions due to absenteeism.
- A Single Parents’ Grant, (depending on eligibility), the amount of which depends on the MQF Level of the course of studies being pursued. This Grant is given to full-time students who are single parents, and who depend solely on Social Security benefits as their sole source of income.
- Summer Special Stipend (credited to apprentices depending on eligibility, payable throughout the Summer period, subject to attendance)
- The Top-Up Stipends are additional rates credited to apprentices over the span of a whole year so that the total remuneration credited them is not less than the national minimum wage. These rates are credited on condition of eligibility and subject to attendance.
- Supplementary Allowances, depending on eligibility which is determined by the Students’ Maintenance Grants’ Board.
Stipend Payment Dates for Academic Year ending 2022*
- 2nd December 2022
- 30th December 2022
Stipend Payment dates for 2023.
- 27th January 2023
- 24th February 2023
- 24th March 2023
- 21st April 2023
- 19th May 2023
- 16th June 2023
- 14th July 2023
- 11th August 2023
- 7th September 2023
- 6th October 2023
- 4th November 2023
For students to benefit from Stipends and Grants they should:
- Be Maltese Citizens, or have at least one parent being a Maltese Citizen; or be a national of a European Union/European Economic Area state or a family member of such European Union/European Economic Area national (provided that such person has obtained permanent residence in Malta; or be a national of European Union/European Economic Area state who is in Malta exercising his/her Treaty rights as a worker, self-employed person or person retaining such status; or be a Third Country National that has been granted refugee/long term residence status.
- Have resided in Malta for a period of not less than 5 years immediately prior to the commencement of the respective course of studies. Provided that for the purpose of calculating the 5-year requirement, consideration shall not be given to that period of time during which the student, as per this Regulation, would have been residing outside Malta due to medical treatment or any other purpose that the Board may consider acceptable.
- Have completed their term of compulsory education.
- Attending their respective course of studies regularly and are making satisfactory progress.
- Not in full-time employment.
- Are in part-time employment not exceeding 25 hours weekly.
- Progressing in their level of studies. Progression of level of studies shall be determined according to the Malta Qualification Framework levels as established by the Malta Qualification Recognition Information Centre or any other competent body
Fill in the online form and submit.
The below is a drive through the Stipends and Grants online application
- Page 1: This page contains your personal details. Ensure these are correct. You will also need to fill in an IBAN. It is made up of 31 alphanumeric characters.
- Page 2: Click all the questions and fill in all your course details. Also ensure you fill in at least one item in the Education / Employment History section.
- Page 3: This page relates to Supplementary Allowances. Click Yes to the question regarding Supplementary and select a reason why you are requesting Supplementary.
- Page 4 You are to upload the requested files. You will surely need your recent Employment History and all pages of the School-Leaving Certificate. If you have also requested Supplementary Allowances, make sure you also upload all the necessary documentation under the proper heading.
Once you fill in the online form make sure that you click on the submit button.
Students may take up to 10 minutes to login, fill in and correctly submit an online application. This timeframe assumes that scans of requested documentation are already available and the IBAN account already available.
Students may amend their online applications for Stipends and Grant until end of June of the respective academic year.
There shall be no further processing of online applications after 30th June 2023.