Students' Maintenance Grants include the following:
- the initial grant
- the one-time grant
- the single parents’ grant
- Summer Special Stipend
- Topup Stipend
- Supplementary Allowances
Students' Maintenance Grants are provided by the Government of Malta for students in higher education. The Students' Maintenance Grants’ scheme operates under a set of regulations and the respective Legal Notice namely LN 308 of 2016 determining eligibility.
Students submitting their online application after the end of November of the respective academic year will be considered eligible for the Maintenance Grants as from the date of submission of application.
Students' Maintenance Grants online application forms should be submitted on a yearly basis at the beginning of the academic year.
Students studying at MQF Level 5 and 6, and also some students studying at MQF Level 7, and who have successfully confirmed their online application, would receive the following;
- A yearly Initial Grant, given once per academic year, which is to be utilised for the purchase of textbooks and other educational material.
- One-Time Grant (for First-Year Degree Level students only). This Grant covers the entirety of the course, and is credited to students reading for courses leading to an MQF Level 6 qualification.
- Four-weekly backdated stipend rates, starting from the first week of December and normally running up to August. These stipend rates may be subject to deductions due to absenteeism.
- A Single Parents’ Grant, (depending on eligibility), the amount of which depends on the MQF Level of the course of studies being pursued. This Grant is given to full-time students who are single parents, and who depend solely on Social Security benefits as their sole source of income.
- Summer Special Stipend (credited to apprentices depending on eligibility, payable throughout the Summer period, subject to attendance)
- The Topup Stipends are additional rates credited to apprentices over the span of a whole year so that the total remuneration credited them is not less than the national minimum wage. These rates are credited on condition of eligibility and subject to attendance.
- Supplementary Allowances, depending on eligibility which is determined by the Students’ Maintenance Grants’ Board.
Stipend Payment Dates for Academic Year 2020-2021*
* Please note that the paydates shown are still not confirmed by Treasury Department and may
be subject to change.
- 1st December 2020
- 29th December 2020
- 27th January 2021
- 24th February 2021
- 24th March 2021
- 21st April 2021
- 19th May 2021
- 16th June 2021
- 14th July 2021
- 11th August 2021
- 8th September 2021
- 6th October 2021
- 3rd November 2021
Fill in the online form and submit.
Students may take up to 10 minutes to login, fill in and correctly submit an online application. This timeframe assumes that scans of requested documentation are already available.