When travelling to Malta the above-mentioned family members require a valid passport in order to do so.

If the third country nationals concerned holds a residence card showing that they are family members of such nationals, and if such document was issued by a non-Schengen state, they will not require a visa to do so provided they are accompanying or joining the EU, EEA or Swiss national.

On the other hand if they hold such a document issued by a Schengen member state on the strength that they are family members who are exercising their right of free movement in the State which issued the document, or else hold a resident permit issued by that state, notwithstanding that they are not joining the said EU, EEA or Swiss national they do not require a visa to enter Malta.

Family members, who require a visa to enter Malta, and are not in possession of any of the above-mentioned documents, in order to travel to Malta require such visa to do so. If they are entering Malta accompanying their EU, EEA or Swiss national family member such visa will granted in a facilitated manner and free of charge. If this is not the case such facilitation shall not be applied and the visa application by the third country national will be processed in accordance with the normal visa procedure applicable for third country nationals.

What you'll get

Residence permit.


Third Country nationals. This form should be completed by a residence permit holder in respect of family members.

How to apply

Applications, with all the supporting documentation, must be submitted in person to the Maltese Citizenship Office at:
Identità Malta
Evans Building
St Elmo's Square

The relevant list of supporting documentation is found on the application form.