The U1 form certifies your periods of insurance and employment or self-employment completed in an EU country which will be taken into account for the award of unemployment benefits. The U1 is issued by the country where you worked and paid the relative social security contributions.

What you'll get

An U1 certificate showing the periods of insurance completed under the Maltese social security scheme.  This will serve as evidence of the contributions you paid in the Maltese scheme which can be utilised to claim unemployment benefits in another EU country.


General eligibility criteria:

  • You are eligible to receive a U1 document if, through work activity as an employed or self-employed person you completed a period of insurance in the Maltese social security scheme.
  • If you worked in Malta but did not pay any social security contributions (because the work activity was not considered an insurable activity) the U1 is not applicable.

How to apply

Fill in and submit the application online.