Through this service you can change the details of how you are paid. If you are currently receiving Department of Social Security payments by cheque, you may change your details to start receiving payments by direct deposit in a bank. If you are already receiving your payments by bank deposits, you may change both the bank as well as the account number. You can also opt to receive a payment notification via SMS when your benefit has been deposited. From this service you cannot change back your details to start receiving cheque payments.
An Administrator or an Agent appointed by an Administrator of a beneficiary registered with the Department of Social Security can also change the bank details of the beneficiary by authenticating with their own e-ID.
- Facility to amend your banking details online and the change will be instantly.
- Facility to change your payment method from a cheque to a direct credit.
- Facility to receive a payment notification via SMS when your benefit has been deposited.
- Facility that bank deposit is effected up to a day prior to actual pay date.
- If a citizen has an Administrator or Agent appointed by Administrator rights over a beneficiary, there is also the facility to amend the beneficiary’s banking details for which the Administrator or Agent appointed by Administrator is responsible for. The change will also be instantly.
If the deposit in the bank account is not finalised because of a wrong account number or closure of account, the claimant is to notify the Department of Social Security immediately online. The procedure is the following:
- The Department of Social Security will notify the Bank regarding the transaction.
- The Bank carries out the necessary checks to specify the reason why the direct credit was not finalised.
- If transaction is cleared, a refund is effected by means of a cheque unless an alternative Bank account number is supplied through another request. However cheque replacements can only be made where the amount is over €20, else a bank account number is to be provided.
This procedure normally takes from 10 to 15 days to be finalised.
General eligibility criteria:
- In receipt of a benefit, allowance or pension. This does not apply to an Administrator or Agent appointed by an Administrator of the beneficiary
- Benefit entitlement should be deposited in a savings or current account, but not in a loan
- The indicated bank account must be in the name of the beneficiary
- An e-ID account issued by Identity Malta
Fill in and submit the application online.