Through this service, you can change the Banking Details of how you are receiving your benefit or update your banking details held by the department. If you are currently receiving benefit payments by cheque, you may change your details to start receiving payments by direct deposit in a bank. If you are already receiving your payments by direct bank deposits, you may change both the bank as well as the account number (IBAN).
You can also opt to receive a payment notification via SMS when your benefit has been deposited. Through this service, you cannot change your banking details to start receiving cheque payments.
General eligibility criteria:
- Beneficiary is in receipt of a benefit, allowance or pension, and the indicated bank account must be in the name of the beneficiary.
- A person registered under the Social Security Act (Cap. 318.), can update his/her banking details held by the department even though one is not a beneficiary to date.
To use this service, you will need:
- An e-ID account issued by Identity Malta.
- The bank account details provided will also be used for all benefits that you may be currently receiving.
- If a beneficiary has a garnishee order, he/she is to inform the preferred bank about the amendment to Article 381 of the Code of Organisation and Civil Procedure (Cap. 12.) to have a bank account issued in the beneficiary’s name accordingly.
When a Payment is not received
If a deposit in the bank account is not finalised because of an incorrect account number or closure of an account, the claimant is to notify the Department of Social Security immediately online. The procedure is the following:
- The Department of Social Security will notify the Bank regarding the transaction.
- The Bank carries out the necessary checks to specify the reason why the direct credit was not finalised.
- If the transaction is cleared, an alternative Bank account number is to be provided by the beneficiary for payment to be processed.
This procedure normally takes from 10 to 15 days to be finalised.
How to access the service
The user must authenticate to access the Banking Details service.